Here's the full story:
Last night, the police called, they had found my vehicle abandoned. They told me it was undriveable, and I could get it at a towed vehicle lot once it got there. They didn't say much more than that.
Today, after church, Andrew Page went with me to the lot. The lady at the lot was unfriendly and almost didn't let me take Andrew back to look at the car. I convinced her he was a mechanic, and she finally let him through. The car was in fairly good condition. The only damage was the ignition on the steering column was removed (and a cigarette burn on the passenger seat). Since we no longer needed a key, I used my house key to turn the ignition. The battery was dead. We convinced the mean lady at the tow office to let Andrew bring his car in to jump the car. That worked, and then I drove the car out of the lot (after paying a $165 tow fee).
Immediately I drove to a Shuck's Auto supply and purchased a club.
There were many interesting items in the vehicle. Someone had left their backpack, containing various needles, sunglasses, a love letter (stating to their lost love that they had cut back from two ounces to half an ounce per day), a condom, and other interesting relics. A plastic coke bottle lying in the car had a smoking pipe device connected to it. An envelope inside contained a letter to the King County Juvenile Detention Center, with return address handwritten. Also, a high school parking pass was on the floor as well as another piece of paperwork with someone's address. Most informative was a checkbook (with carbon copy receipts) of a person who lived in Texas. Many of the checks were written for rent, public utilities, and to someone with the same last name as the person on the checks (possibly a parent). All three names with addresses (the envelope, the paperwork, and checkbook) were different.
This was all in the car, and had not been taken by the police when they found it.
Today I called the police and they came by. The officer took most of the drug paraphanalia, and anything with evidence. I had not found the checkbook at the time (it was lodged between the center console and the passenger seat) so I still have that. The officer told me that car theft is rampant in Seattle. I actually talked with him a bit. He said that a person who is accused of car theft can get away free by saying they were unaware at the time that the car was stolen (ex. "My friend let me drive the car, I didn't know it was stolen"). Many times, a person can be convicted multiple times, and not receive jail time. The laws are on the side of the criminal in Seattle. Recently, the chief of police prohibited cops from chasing after car thefts, making it even more difficult for police to go after car thiefs (he didn't say why). After that, the police officers sent a vote of no-confidence towards their chief, but nothing was done, and he is still in-office.
He told me it is not likely that any prosecution will happen.
I have thought about calling the people in Texas (possibly the parent) and letting them know what happened (because it doesn't seem like much will happen through the legal system). But I don't think it will really matter. And they know where I live--I don't want anthing more to happen. The people involved are obviously not rational and addicted to drugs.
On a lighter note, we went to the Woodland Park Zoo on Saturday. Shannon had two tickets for her and Mikayla (her Little Sister). I went too and tagged along. My camera died halfway through, but I did get some good shots. It's a really cool zoo. They even have a snow leopard. There are tons of orangatuans, elephants, zebras, a lion, giraffes, grizzlies, a tiger, penguins, and much, much more.
There was even a strange looking turtle:

Things at work have been changing. The management is restructuring and I am getting a new boss (or possibly bosses). The company is forming a CapSense business unit (to differentiate it from the rest of the the PSoC business). I'm not sure what to think of it. I met the person two people above me (who is new) last week. He was living in Hong Kong (and working for Cypress) there. He is Caucasion and from the States I think. He is moving to Seattle with his wife later this year after she has their first baby. He is enthusiastic and has high aspirations. He also promises to make decisions (unlike my current manager). A person (who has not been hired) will replace my current manager to manage the technical applications team. My manager will move into a lower stress job managing two marketing people (but still be on the CapSense team).
I wonder what it would be like to live in Hong Kong, and raise a family. It's the richest city in the world. There are residential areas where many US ex-patriates live. China is the most exciting economy in the world right now.
I hope everyone is well. I am sad to hear about Beppe. I wonder what she is thinking, and if anything makes sense to her right now.
We got the birth announcement from Jen and Adolfo. That's great, maybe Zara will be friends with Henry.
Shannon is doing well. She has taken up gardening. Today we were both working outside. I was the weeder and she was the planter. We will take a picture soon to show you what she's up too. We also want to get some chairs and a small table, and maybe a small barbecue.
I love you all, and Happy belated birthday Derek!
Louis
No comments:
Post a Comment