Sunday, October 18, 2009

The White House and Marooniforms*

So I am FINALLY posting pictures of my new home. Yesterday I put the finishing touches on my room and set up a desk that my friend Andrew gave me (for free!). It's a very cute vintage house that was built in the 1940s. There are four rooms, two kitchens and two bathrooms. four of the girls share the two upstairs rooms, while Lizzy and I have our own rooms downstairs. The upstairs kitchen is blue and white, while the downstairs kitchen is red and yellow. I really like living here and with the 5 other girls. It's been a challenge divvying up house chores and the like, but we're finally getting into a groove of things. Its nice to be able to come home and have a choice of what I want to make for dinner. I feel as though I'm getting very well-rounded meals too since I do have that freedom of cooking what appeals to me (which typically tends to be pasta and some form of veggie and fruit; I'm a sucker for Italian).










The nursing program is going along past-paced and intense. It seems that I am always working on an online module, reading or recording information for my resident I am looking after this semester. Although there is a lot of it, the work is not that difficult; especially compared with the work of memorizing 50 diseases, symptoms, antibiotics, ways of transmission and poster projects that we had to do for Microbiology last year. For the nursing program the challenge is staying on top of the work and knowing what is due when. We had our first exam last Monday (still waiting on the results....) but our professor posted the questions and correct answers outside her door and I'm feeling good about it.

We are also working in a retirement facility called Kline Galland. The interesting thing is that it's a Jewish facility and everything there is kosher. If a person brings in a water bottle from the outside world, any room it is brought into has to be decontaminated, because they don't know if it held milk or some other liquid that could be unkosher at any time. We are assigned one resident at this facility to come up with a health plan and to record their progress. I like the hands on experience of this. We are learning how to perform tasks in skills lab one day, and the next we are in clinicals actually performing them on residents.

That's about all that is new in my life.
Love you all! Keep me posted on new happenings.

btw: Halloween is coming... :]

*The White House is the name of our house. It has also been known as The Ballard House and La Miason De Palmier (which is Palm Tree House in French) because there is a palm tree in front of our house, which is odd for Seattle, no?
Marooniforms is a portmanteau that my friend Andrew coined (so I can't take credit) because our school scrubs are maroon. :]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your home looks very cute and cozy Julia! I like how you have decorated. The kitchen nook is neat. Can I come over for dinner?
Now....any photos of the outside?

I'm glad that you are keeping up with your schooling. You have chosen a very difficult line of study, nursing is one of the hardest.

Anonymous said...

I like all of the different bright colors!
You girls have been very busy painting.

Julia said...

You are definitely invited to come over for dinner; as well as anybody else in our family who would like to come!

We actually haven't been busy painting, all the rooms but mine came the color you see in the pictures. I chose to paint my room because before it was the blue equivalent of pepto bismol; and whoever painted it before did a very shoddy job. I do enjoy the bright colors though. :]

Shannon said...

Fun place Julia :)!!!!! Glad to hear that everything is going well :)!

JO said...

Looks pretty sweet dude!! Can't wait to see it over T-break! I think we'll have you meet us in Lynden on the Wed late afternoon and then you can leave whenever you need to. Then we were thinking about stoping in for a later lunch on Sunday if thats cool let me know!

Julia said...

that's cool. :]