Saturday, October 10, 2009

San Francisco Walk/Run Race for Special Olympics!





















The top photo is Sharon Derek and Willie doing pre-race warm-ups at the Embarcaderro Mall next to the Ferry Building.
2nd photo is Shannon and I with the boys in the stroller, Henry was quite competive, one time when we stopped for Kaelan's neeeds, he said "Go Go Go! Not wanting all of the other walkers to get ahead of us.
3rd photo is all 8 of us together after the race, a view of the Bay Bridge is in the background.
4th photo was our view during the walk, it was a perfectly clear day...our view of the bay bridge, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge was amazing! The weather was warm...so rare in San Fran!
We all finished the race, Sharon and Derek were runners, going 7 1/2 miles, the rest of us walked 4 1/2 miles. There were approximately 9000 people in this race, an ocean of participants to swim through. We all agreed to make this an annual event!
5th photo is of Shannon and I while enjoying lunch at the Sinbad Restaurant, post race.
Willie and I were gone for 6 days on this vacation. We spent 2 days with Sharon and Derek. They had just moved into a new (to them) home, (in a neat gated community).
Then we spent 2 nights with Louis' family. We took a tour of the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose with Louis and family, for lunch we walked over to Santana Row and had lunch at a trendy restaurant. It was so fun seeing how much Henry and Kaelan have changed, Henry is talking very clearly, and alot, Kaelan is now walking. The night before the race we stayed in a hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. The afternoon after the race Willie and I traveled to Sausilito and walked down a quiant street along the water. We also walked through an amazing open house with a view of the San Fran bay, it was priced at $4.3 millon! I absolutely loved it! We then walked along some piers that had homes floating on the water...a very interesting way to live.
We made the long drive home on Monday, October 5th. The weather in Idaho had made a enormous change while we were away, most of my plants froze and there was lots of snow.
Thank you Sharon and Derek for having the great idea of doing this event together as a family!

1 comment:

Julia said...

Wow. This race looks like it was such a good time!I really wish I could have made it. Hopefully next year more of the family will be able to come.
I'm glad that you guys liked it so much to make it an annual event. I'd like to run it next year. The photos are neat and the weather looked impeccable.

Soon to come: pics and a post about the nursing program and life in my Ballard House. :]

love you guys!