Friday, June 05, 2009

I was going to be a cardiologist, but I didn't have the heart





Well folks. Its official. I am going to be a nurse. I bought my first pair of scrubs yesterday. I have taken a few photos, courtesy of Photobooth of them. If you look close on the picture where I'm making a silly face, it has Seattle Pacific University embroidered on the sleeve. I remember on my mission trip to Colorado, one of the guys there wasn't a doctor or a nurse, but he wore scrubs all the time. Now I know why. They are extremely comfortable. Something I wouldn't mind wearing for hours on end (which is inevitably going to happen...).
I am becoming more and more excited to start the program next Fall. It is going to be stressful and expensive, for sure. (books alone cost about $1000!) But this past quarter, I have gotten to know a lot of the people who are going to be in the program with me, and they are all amazing! You know the old saying, it doesn't matter where you go, its who you have by your side. I'm excited to go through the most intense two years of my life with these people. There are even 5 guys in the program, albeit they all have girlfriends, but nonetheless, it will be great to have them.
Finals are coming up this week, and I am kind of worried for them. For microbiology, we have to know every disease, symptoms, epidemiology, transmission and the complications that can arise for every organism we learned this quarter. Its probably going to be around 50 of them; and when most of the symptoms look like the flu, knowing how each differentiates from another is key. I also have Nutrition and Statistics. I had a voice final on Thursday which went really well. I sang the song, "Fever". It was really fun. My professor made the performance very laid back, which I was thankful for. :]
This Thursday is my last final, which I am taking at 7:30 in the morning, and then driving driving driving to Cheshire, Oregon to get trained to be a counselor at Camp Lutherwood. It is going to have to be timed well, what with moving out of the dorms and such. Here is the link to their website if you all want to check it out : I think although camp is going to be high energy it will be a good change of pace from books to fun outside with kids! I think that Mom and Dad were wanting the address. I'll put it on here for all of you. I think I would like to write (actual handwritten) letters to people since I will be having an hour siesta after lunch every day, and I will also have most modes of communication cut off until Friday evening every week. So if any of you are interested, I think letter-writing would be a great old-fashioned art form to bring back from the grave! Here is my address:
Julia Bokma
22960 Hwy 36
Cheshire, OR 97419
Anway, I really love you all. Mom and Dad, It is hitting me that I won't be spending the majority of my summer at home and I'm sad about that. Who is going to mow the lawn?? And Sharon and Derek and Louis and Shannon and Henry and Kaelan and Dutch and Sake, I'm looking forward to coming and visiting you at the end of June!! Jo and Tyler and Bentley, your new puppies are absolutely adorable. The camping trip this summer is going to be a blast, especially since this is the first time we'll all be together since who knows when! :]
I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the web site is.......?

Julia said...

Sorry about that! The website is: http://www.lutherwood.org/index.php
:]