Monday, July 24, 2006

Words for the pictures

Okey dokey - here are some explanations of the pictures that we posted. The first picture is of us at our murder mystery dinner - I can't see it on my computer, just an empty box, but maybe it will show up on yours (I hope so)
There is one picture of Joy getting ready with the help of Saxon and her bridesmaid Susan. Saxon made Joy's dress and Joy made Susans dress (it originally was her wedding dress) The other pictures are just pictures taken by jessica - she was the candlelighter in our wedding. She has a knack for catching people at their best moments (please observe Derek's best side.....) The picture of Dutch is a shot of him on the way home from Florala on Sunday - he was wiped out!!!! So were we though. We slept most of the day on Sunday and I studied a whole lot.
The wedding was very nice - very short (less than 5 minutes)I played the piano and it went okay.... We never practiced with the processional, just estimated about 5 minutes for them to walk down. I had marked a couple of places that i could play over to lengthen it or I could cut the same places to shorten it. Anyway, I started playing and I was about 2 pages into the song (out of 8 pages) when the flower girls started down the aisle. I wasn't even to the places that i had marked to repeat or cut out so I had to frantically find a place to go to for the big and exciting music for the bride and a place to finish. Also, I have never played outside in the humidity so I got to experience my fingers sticking to the piano. The recessional song was a little easier. Joy decided last minute that heart and soul would be the best song to play for that. Derek and I were going to a duet but then I ended up doing it by myself since the wedding was so short. The reception was fun too! The food was really good too - we had chicken wings with buffalo sauce and veggie lasagna which was surprisingly really good! i had a huge piece. i would like to find a good recipe for it!
So overall the weekend was good. Susan - who was Joy's bridesmaid and roommate while she was in optometry school - is VERY VERY liberal. We had some interesting conversations with her. I asked her if she was a member of the Sierra club and she said their views were not extreme enough for her (she is a vegan by the way, kind of, she'll eat chees if she is in a situation such as this weekend where vegatarian food is hard to come by - everything is fried in bacon fat or topped with cheese - she made a few exceptions) She had some things to say about dairies and nature. She is executive of a tree-hugging non-profit firm. A lot of their ideas for saving the planet are practical - such as starting to charge for using plastic bags at grocery stores (they do this in Europe, everyone has to bring their own tote bags) but other ideas are largely very strange.... Her and Derek really got into it one night over ANWAR and whether the governement should tap in the oil there. WOW - Derek has some strong beliefs too! Kinda neat to be exposed to someone like that, it makes me want to learn more about the things I believe and the views I have. Some things I actually need to form some opinions on so I can argue them and have a say. I felt very uneducated about some things. Oh well! I guess thats the way life goes. She is very nice though :)
okay, i think that is it for me :) I hope you all have a great week!
I love you
Sharon
Thank you very much for all the birthday wishes, I felt overwhelmed by the amount of singing directed towards me!

No comments: